This coming Sunday is the worst Sunday ever. The Sunday before the Super Bowl. Well, I guess the Sunday after the Super Bowl is horrible, too, but at least by then you’ve prepared yourself for the end of football. This Sunday might as well be called “Laundry Sunday” or something, because you have no excuse not to do laundry (or clean the house or whatever) and you’re basically just wishing it was next Sunday.
If nothing else, I guess this Sunday is practice for what’s in store for the ‘dead zone’ — the period from the Super Bowl to the beginning of baseball season. Hockey and basketball. Yay.
* This CBS story on SMSU coach Brad Bigler appeared yesterday and made the rounds, but if you haven’t read it yet, it’s worthwhile, though be warned, it’s not easy reading. That said, it certainly gives an appreciation for Bigler as he gets on with his life as the coach of the Mustangs. He’s an easy guy to root for.
* This has been around awhile, too, but it’s hilarious, so if you haven’t seen it yet, play it to the end.
* I’m losing the stomach for Manti Te’o at this point. I don’t really believe his story — at least not entirely — but I don’t care anymore, either, which is weird, because at first the story was fascinating to me.
Anyway, I kind of hope it just goes away, because the guy is going to get drafted in the NFL and then it’s not going to matter anymore, but still, I thought this piece from the excellent Dave Zirin was very good, and calls out the national media for basically buying Te’o’s story for a second time. The Ivan Maisel column he references was one of the silliest things I’ve ever read in my life.
* ESPN talked about the Ray Lewis murder case this week! Really, they did! Also, Rachel Nichols left for CNN, which might mean I’ll have to watch more CNN.
* If you missed it Wednesday, USF coach Chris Johnson and forward Dave Maxwell were our guests on Sports Web Live, and both talked candidly of the Cougars’ struggles in their first year in the NSIC, and also of the disappointing crowds that have “filled” the Stewart Center this year.
Tonight would be a good night for USF fans to come out, as the Cougars play host to Winona State, a former NCAA champion and one of the best teams in the NSIC this year. USF took them to overtime at Winona earlier this year before losing. The Cougars are 3-9 in the conference, but 3-2 at home in conference games. They also host Upper Iowa Saturday.
* And Augustana’s wrestling team also has a big weekend, hosting No. 1 St. Cloud State tonight and No. 13 Minnesota State Saturday. MSU upset No. 6 Upper Iowa last night.
I won’t be able to make it tonight as I’ll be covering USF hoops, but I might try to get to the Elmen Center for the end of the dual against Mankato after Saturday’s USF double header is over.
* The second episode of Jim Jefferies’ ‘Legit’ aired last night on FX, and it was terrific again. Thursday nights at 9:30, people. You’re missing out.
* And lastly, my buddy Newt, who is, like me, a Walking Dead fan, sent me a pic a few days ago. I must warn you before you click on it, it’s actually pretty terrifying. I actually kind of wish I could un-see it. Don’t ask why I’m holding up a card that reads ‘The Terrorists’. I don’t actually remember the photo being taken, as it was the night of the Vikings’ playoff loss to Green Bay.
Anyway, you’ve been warned.
Enjoy the weekend.